Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Viva La Skank!

Let's talk about what's going on in the world, namely that Christina Aguilera is getting married!

My love of Ms. Aguilera is well-documented and my friend Erin and I once had grand plans of showing off our love with custom made Xtina t-shirts. This was right after Stripped was released and it still wasn't cool to like her, but we were totally proud of it. We never got around to doing it though and my other plan for an Xtina-inspired shirt saying "Viva La Skank!" never took off either. And it was going to be bedazzled, too! Sigh.

A major criticism of Ms. Aguilera is that she's skanky. WhatEVER, people. Since when did a little skank hurt anybody? I am a firm believer in the notion that no dirrty is too dirrty. Skanks are what make the world go round. And she can sing like no one else, so what does it matter if she wears assless chaps sometimes?

But anyway, she and her boyfriend of two years are getting married! It's so cute, he's been with her through so much drama, not to mention all different hairstyles, from the dirrty days to her black hair to uh, this, which is probably for Halloween but with Christina, you never really know to her current retro phase. If that's not true love, I don't know what is.

I wish them all the best and eagerly look forward to the wedding. Cheers to the happy couple!

The funny thing is that people are still comparing her to Britney Spears. Still! After a critically AND commercially successful album and no visible mental breakdown! How is that fair? Today, for example, while I was in Starbucks, the girls behind me started talking about the ongoing Britney/Xtina rivalry and had the following conversation.

Girl A: I can't believe Christina is getting married, she's just trying to copy Britney.
Girl B: I know, right?
Girl A: Ever since she first came out, she's tried so hard to be Britney, it's not even funny.
Girl B: Ohmigod, I know.
Girl A: God, and her boyfriend is UGLY.
Girl B: Totally.

Let's break this down, shall we?

Christina-->Marrying her boyfriend who has a real job

Britney-->Married an unemployed man who had a pregnant girlfriend

Christina-->Marrying a down-to-earth man with no skeletons in his closet

Britney-->Married a man who, in addition to a pregnant girlfriend, had the shameful secret of being an LFO backup dancer

Christina-->Marrying her boyfriend after dating him for two years

Britney-->Married her boyfriend of mere months after marrying someone else for two days earlier in the year

And incidentally, if we're using Kevin Federline as a standard of beauty, I think it's time for us to just stop the world, because life isn't worth living.

This, of course, isn't to say that loving Britney is wrong, because the girl brought us "Slave 4 U" and "Toxic" and should be worshipped accordingly, but really, can't Christina catch a break?

And there ends my public service announcement.

Other important goings on in the world of entertainment:

  • there is a Lindsay Lohan doll and I have reasonably made it a goal in life to own one of them. June cannot come fast enough.

  • Ashley Olsen is filing a lawsuit against the National Enquirer. When will people learn not to fuck with the Olsen twins? They're teenage billionaires and they have the best lip gloss ever, just stay out of their way, people!

  • You can watch the trailer for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy here, if you're so inclined. I know nothing about this story-it's book, right? Or is it a series of books? Hmm-but I will be seeing it because of my deep and shameful love for Mos Def. Not that loving Mos Def is shameful, it's just that, you know, I love him.

  • Daniel Day-Lewis has turned scary.

    Mallory at 2/16/2005 06:37:00 PM

    2comments

    2 Comments

    at 11:19 PM Blogger Mallory said...

    I agree, I think Ash's lawsuit is more just for publicity's sake to counteract the claims that the NE is making and that they know she has no shot of winning.

    As you can see by my use of "assless chaps" and the superfluous t in Xtina, I am a fan of being redundant. It's the new fun.

     
    at 12:09 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I enjoyed reading your comparisons between Brit Brit and Xtina.

     

    Post a Comment