Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Procrastinating

First off, I have a new layout! Which I'm sure you all noticed, not being blind and all that. I was searching for something, anything, to get me out of doing homework, so I decided to do this, and I'm oddly entranced with the color scheme. It really doesn't take much, I'm sort of like a kitten that way, I could easily spend hours looking at a ball of tinfoil.

In other news, it's that part of the semester known as "Crunch Time" or "Hell". You know, that time where you have assignments due in every class? On top of reading every night? Yeah, that's fun.

Yesterday, for example, in my Brit Lit class, my professor asked me how my research paper was progressing. I did an excellent job of pretending to be on the up and up and said, in my very best teacher's pet voice, "Oh, really well, I'm making loads of progress", when the truth is that I've barely researched it and have only a very vague notion about my thesis. Vague as in, "I know it's something about the poetry of World War I...you know...poets and poems...and their meanings?"

And she said, "Oh, good, because you need to have your rough draft in class on Wednesday with a list of all of your sources".

Hmmm.

And that's just one class! I also have papers and projects and presentations (oh my!) and it's just shaping up to be a span of time where I will need to either walk around with an IV of coffee or turn to heroin.

Just kidding! Walking around with a coffee IV is so impractical.

So I have this metric ton of work to do and, as you can see, I'm ignoring it in order to discuss Julia Roberts and her twins.

Now. I know it's not cool to like Julia Roberts. I know she has an annoying laugh and that she plays the same role in all of her movies, but I like her anyway. It really has a lot to do with good fashion sense and residual Mystic Pizza love.

Anyhoo...Hazel Patricia and Phinnaeus Walter Moder. Hmm.

The old lady names are coming back into vogue, yes? Nora, Opal, Ingrid, Harriet and the like are all being used again after being rejected in favor of Britney, Ashlee, and Emily as being too dated. And now Hazel. It's not so bad, but the last name Moder uglies it up quite a bit.

As far as Phinneaus goes, I am in no place to judge as, for years, I harbored a love for Phineas of A Separate Peace. (Don't judge! He was dreamy!) I'm not overly fond of the spelling of it, but Finn's a neat little nickname and they're actual names not random words (Hi, Audio Science!) or appliances or anything.

There's been a lot of "The poor kids will get made fun of on the playground!" but, really, they will be in school with kids named Lemon, ObiWan and L'Oreal. The little Moder twins will be just fine. Plus, they can say, "Do you know who I am?! I'm Hazel Moder! I can buy you and sell you!" or something similar if provoked. Not that I advocate threatening to buy and sell one's classmates, of course. It's just a route they can take if worse comes to worse.

Mallory at 11/30/2004 12:36:00 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 7:23 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Julia Roberts too. Residual love for the first woman to give 10-year-old Pasha that strange, scary "special feeling." Ah, the Pretty Woman days. And she really did look quite gorgeous a few years ago, back when she was with Benjamin Bratt.

 
at 10:26 AM Blogger Mallory said...

She was looking really lovely during the Bratt era, wasn't she? It was one of her finer periods, topped only by the era where she had the big curly hair and did photo shoots with Herb Ritts that were maddeningly pretty.

 
at 2:29 PM Blogger Rayanne Graff said...

"The old lady names are coming back into vogue, yes? Nora, Opal, Ingrid, Harriet and the like are all being used again"

Excuuuuuuuuse me?! My *real* name (well, before I changed it in favour of something less rubbish) was Harriet. It ain't no old lady name like Nora!

::wanders off, muttering about the cheek of the youth of today, swinging my cane and chomping on my dentures::

 
at 8:55 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog on discount houston appliance love it. i saw some related article here discount houston appliance

 

Post a Comment