Thursday, September 30, 2004

Currently Written on my Trapper Keeper: I <3 John Edwards

The first of the presidential debates is tonight. George W. Bush has proven to be creepily effective in debates aided merely by a cocked eyebrow or a short sentence; John Kerry has proven himself to be a sloppy speaker many times.

Wonkette offers us a drinking game to make it through the torture.

Mmmm, cocktails.

The Presidential "Debates" are always so utterly dreadful, I still have nightmares about the debates in 2000 where it just seemed to be a muddle of the same points,
sighs and furrowed brows. Shudder.

Besides, it's not like it's a real debate, they don't talk back and forth. They just share the same stage. Bizzoring.

At any rate, I'm particularly excited for the Vice-Presidential debate. I was never the type to have a crush on the quarterback, I always preferred...that other guy who isn't the quarterback. I don't know, baseball's my thing.

Anyhoo, who can focus on Dubya and Kerry when there is a terrifying psychotic man and a pretty man with shiny, shiny hair to focus on? It's an almost perfect visual representation of evil vs. good when you think about it, it couldn't have been cast better. How anybody would vote for a ticket with Dick Cheney on it is beyond me. Doesn't he even look like he lacks a soul? I understand how being soulless may be considered a bonus in the world of politics, but there's his pesky heart problem, I simply don't trust a man who needs to go to the cardiologist everytime something goes down. I do, however, trust a man with a nice grin and shiny hair to know what's what.

If you expect me to defend my crush on John Edwards at this point in time, you will just have to keep waiting. Is it wrong? Yes, probably, as he's older than my dad, but you know what? He's dreamy. If he and Barack Obama ever ran on a ticket together, I think that I'd spontaneously combust.

But enough about my lust for middle-aged politicians. Let's move on to what we all want to know: What's hot in my world right now.

Currently Listening To...
"Dirrty Down", which mixes Christina Aguilera's "Dirrty" with Diana Ross's "Upside Down" may be the most fabulous thing in the history of creation. It's this perfect blend of skank and bitch and it makes me want to dance.

Currently Watching...
America's Next Top Model, y'all. Janice Dickinson is back with revealing clothes, witty barbs and trout lips. Also back? Nigel Barker who is just terribly hot.

Currently Reading...
The Day of the Locust, by Nathanael West. This is the dark side of Hollywood in the 1930s and, basically, is fucked up. It's totally surreal and there's not one sympathetic character. It's basically pretty awesome.

Currently Flipping Through...

Vanity Fair (well, muddling through, as is always the case with VF) and Vogue Paris. Pretentious? Mas oui. That's the way I am.

Mallory at 9/30/2004 11:57:00 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 7:31 PM Blogger Rayanne Graff said...

You're not alone in your John Edwards crush -- I just read the most fabulous article (I think in Vogue?) on him and am utterly smitten. It's kind of pathetic (my crush - yours of course isn't!*)

I haven't seen the debate yet (the time difference meant it was on really late last night and I was O.C.ed out and needed bed) but a friend has it videoed for me to watch and catch up on Bush's idiocy.

I'm reading US Vogue at the moment and feeling very la-di-da and trans-Atlantic.

*Desperately tries not to insult you and ends up butt kissing.

 
at 8:32 PM Blogger Mallory said...

Mmmm, John Edwards. So dreamy.

I fully admit that my crush is pathetic, bordering on ridiculous. But I can't help it! The hair! The smile! The charm! The smarts! I'd be more worried about us if we didn't have crushes, frankly.

Be prepared, Bush managed to be idiotic AND snippy, it's quite wondrous.

Which Vogue are you reading? The Charlize cover? I enjoyed it, natch, but it paled in comparison to the September issue like wo. Anna needs to go.

 
at 5:57 PM Blogger Rayanne Graff said...

Yup, the Charlize cover. My mum brought it back from her NYC trip for me. It was okay -- I usually read British Vogue (or when I'm feeling really pretentious I get Vogue Bambini on import) and I can't really compare!

I LOVE the new look of your blog, it's incredibly beautiful (I'm such a dork, finding a blog beautiful: as soon as I saw it I got all "squee! look at the pretty screen!") and stylish.

 
at 6:07 PM Blogger Mallory said...

Ah, yes, you're lucky getting to read British Vogue regularly. If I could, I'd subscribe to Vogue Italy and Paris, as well as British Vogue and do away with the US...but I simply can't afford it. I stick to boring old US and then Paris, and read the others when I can.

And thank you! I'm rather fond of it myself, I was looking for a site with pretty templates and I fell in love with this--the designer is great and it's really easy, there's a link if you want to check it out. It is stylish and fun, which is, of course, what matters and why I spent hours doing that instead of studying.

 

Post a Comment