Sunday, September 19, 2004

The Best and Worst of the Fall Fashion Campaigns

Every month, fashion magazines are filled with advertisements. Most people ignore them because, really...well, no, I never ignore them, as I am one of those sick freaks who enjoys ads as much as she does articles, but I hear from people that the ads are pointless filler.

However, no matter how hard you try, you cannot avoid advertisements in the Fall Fashion issues of W, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and Elle. For every one page of content (that, when you really think about it, is advertising something), there are twelve pages of ads. The fall issues of these fine magazines are like books, and I have killer arms from carrying them around my room.

Anyhoo...some of these ads are plain fabulous. The model, the setting, the clothes, the photography-just phenomenal. And others are just the total opposite. Like, so bad that you stare at them in horror for a bit, before ripping them up and throwing them out.

For your pleasure, I know present to you the Best and Worst Fall Fashion Ads of 2004.

Ready?

The Best Fashion Campaigns

Dior

This season's Dior ads feature the controversial supermodel Gisele Bundchen, who many don't like. However, I do, and it's my list, so she's on it. Seriously, these ads are fierce. Lots of color, lots of brights, and they even managed to give her the illusion of curves. See? She actually has a defined waist there, it's rather amazing. These ads are fun and funky, and so Dior, really.

Gucci

The Gucci ads feature the gorgeous Daria Werbowy, who looks totally great in them, even in a blue sequined dress. They're very classic, and very sexy.

Prada

You can always count on Prada for a totally out there campaign, and this season was no different. They feature Elise Crombez and Gemma Ward and it's sort of eerie, and sort of retro and a bit outre, but still fabulous. I don't know how they managed it, but they did.

YSL

Speaking of Gemma, her YSL ads are insane. Like, utterly crazy, really, but SO good. A cheongsam and a bouffant work perfectly here, as do killer wedges and teased hair and flowers. They're really divine, and artistic, and I think they prove that Gemma is more than a model who sort of resembles a fetus from some angles. I really want to see more from her, she's capable of pulling off some killer shoots. You go, YSL and Gemma.

Calvin Klein

I admit to being confused by the Calvin ads at first. They're a bit out there, with Natalia Vodianova done up in glam clothes and smoky eyes...sitting among leaves and branches? And then humping a tree? And, seriously, she just missed showing her cooter by, like, two centimeters in one of them. They're really strange, it's like, "Oh, she's in a tree, in the woods. Oh, no, wait, there's a brick wall. Uh. What the hell is this?" But it actually works. I don't know how, but it does.

Missoni

Kate Moss's new Missoni ads are really retro, and have sort of a Marisa Berenson vibe to them. Long, straight blond hair, dark eyeliner, with a bit of a hippie feel. They're very pink and peach based, with lots of sunlight, and the overall effect is really pretty.

David Yurman

I've always been a fan of the David Yurman ads, as they feature Kate Moss and Amber Valletta, and because, as jewelry ads, they're very face focused, and Kate and Amber always look stunning. So yay!

Louis Vuitton

We should get this out of the way now-I hate when actresses act as spokesmodels. Just no, yo. And this campaign features Scarlett Johansson, Diane Kruger, Christina Ricci and Chloe Sevigny. Why?! The Vuitton campaigns have always been interesting when they featured dynamic models, but after Jennifer Lopez, I guess anything seems to be okay. Which is why I sort of like these ads. Actually, it's mostly because of the hot red shoes they feature. So fantastic.

And The Worst

Moschino

I feel sort of like a hypocrite, because I love Gemma Ward so much that one would think that my China Doll model love would extend to Lily Cole, too. But it doesn't, I can't stand Lily Cole, she sort of looks like an anime character to me, or a cross between an anime character and a troll whose face is too large. Unsurprisingly, her Moschino ads are awful. She looks sort of like a freak marionette, limbs flailing awkwardly. They're a tiny bit horrifying, really.

St. John By Marie Gray

Kelly Gray's St. Johns are always awful, mainly because she's in them. They're boring and narcissistic, and her stupid bland face and blonde bob haven't changed in the last decade and, as CEO of the company, she gets to put herself in them, and jet off with handsome men to exotic locations for shoots. Argh! And I see these ads everywhere, and I hate them. Hate, hate, hate them.

Saks Fifth Avenue

The Saks ads are utterly ridiculous. They are trying to get us to believe that Bai Ling is classy, and that Marley Shelton is relevent. Um, no, Saks. Just no.

Marc Jacobs

It pains me to say it, y'all, but the Marc Jacobs ads this season are so shitty. I cannot figure out why he chose to feature Rachel Feinstein, who may be one of the ugliest women on the planet. Shudder.

Miu Miu

Again, with the actor as the model. Maggie Gyllenhaal looks so fucking greasy in these ads. I don't know why people consider it a good look, I just wanted to blot her face. And her haircut is not doing her any favors. They're dirty looking ads, and not in the fun way.

Roberto Cavalli

The Cavalli ads feature the fab Angela Lindvall, so I should be happy, no? No. They're very dark, and all of the models have this slightly psychotic look to them. It's serial killer chic.

Oscar De La Renta

The Oscar ads feature Isabeli Fontana, who could easily be starring in "The Jaw That Ate Manhattan." They're not so good, especially because she looks really manly in one of them, and I had to think for a minute of who this new transsexual model was, until I flipped the page and realized it was still Isabeli. Yikes.

Michael, by Michael Kors

The theme of these ads is that Molly Sims is a suburban mom and professional. So she can wear her chic and cheap Michael clothes to work, to pick the kids up from school and the like. Which is a nice theory, I suppose, but it doesn't really work, because Molly Sims looks like a damn horse. Dress her up however you want, she looks better suited to a stable than a Chevy Suburban.

Mallory at 9/19/2004 04:51:00 AM

2comments

2 Comments

at 9:34 PM Blogger Rayanne Graff said...

[small voice]I like the Miu Miu ads. Please don't disown me.[/small voice]

 
at 3:31 PM Blogger Mallory said...

Oh, god, the Paris Hilton ads!I don't know why I didn't put them on there, except I guess they're so bad that it's a given. Shudder. She looked like a Hooker Barbie with FAS.

baggy, do you really? Hmm. Even though she looks so greasy? Maybe I should give them another chance.

 

Post a Comment